Located in Bryan County, Mead lies adjacent to U.S. Highway 70, approximately six miles west of Durant. In 1866 a band of Creeks who were being provisioned by the federal government camped one mile southwest of present Mead. West of their location existed two large springs, which they selected as a camp meeting grounds. Many Presbyterian missionaries, including Allen Wright, Stephens Peter, J. Frank Wright (son of Allen), and Dixon Durant, held services there. Durant preached in Choctaw and English, serving a mixed audience of Choctaws and non-Indians.
During most of the twentieth century agriculture and ranching dominated the area's economic focus. In 1970 the population had dropped to 80 residents. Tourism at nearby Lake Texoma and the proximity to Durant has helped the town revive, and now is a common place of travel in Chickasaw Country.