We’re days away from invading the state of Texas with a ton of crimson for the Red River Rivalry football game. On Friday, Oct. 7, Oklahoma fans will make the trip down I-35 to Dallas, to cheer the Sooners on for a possible victory against the Texas Longhorns.
As you travel to game, you’ll be driving right smack dab in the middle of Chickasaw Country. For your convenience, I give you six must see stops to make on your travels to the Cotton Bowl.
- Big Game Tailgate Party in Davis – Take Exit 55 for a tailgate party with free hot dogs, drinks and marching bands on Friday, Oct. 7 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Meet the one and only, Coach Barry Switzer and get your OU gear signed! You can find all the festivities in the parking lot of the Chickasaw Nation Welcome Center and Bedré Fine Chocolate.
- 777 Zipline in Davis - Since you’ll be in the area you have to see the 777-Zip, the zipline that overlooks Turner Falls. What a great chance stop, stretch your legs and get some fresh air. Plus, show your tickets or ticket stubs to the game, and get your ride for half price!
- The Artesian in Sulphur – This historic hotel is more than just a place to kick back and relax. Here you’ll find shops, cafes and right across the street, the Chickasaw Nation Visitor Center and the Chickasaw National Recreation Area. While it’s not right off I-35 it’s worth the quick little detour, believe me.
- Arbuckle Mountain Fried Pie in Davis – These hand-held pies are pretty great for in-car eating. With flavors ranging from apple to chocolate to tex-mex, you just can’t go wrong with an Arbuckle Mountain Fried Pie!
- The Pocket Shop in Ardmore – Ladies, if you’re in search of a new outfit for game day, swing by the Pocket Shop on Ardmore’s Main Street. They have perfect football themed shirts to pair with your crimson skinny jeans. This isn’t the only shopping to be found in Ardmore so make time for a few more stops!
- Chickasaw Travel Stop in Thackerville – You may be wondering why I would be sending you here, but hear me out. CTS recently introduced Dust Cutter Lemonades. Oklahoma is one of only five states to have this refreshing beverage and Dust Cutter will have representatives at the CTS-Thackerville for from 2-5 on Friday. So before you cross that border grab a drink, some gas and drive into Texas.
As you make your way to Texas for the game we hope you make some stops in Chickasaw Country and while you’re in the area take a photo and tag #routeCC so we can follow along with your adventures!
Safe travels, friends!